Meet ‘the Elizabeth Warren Wing of the Democratic Party’
A new crop of progressive populists is winning primaries across the nation and challenging Clintonian orthodoxy.
- Termination of 60 year commitment to income support for the poor
- Ended direct federal provision of low-income housing
- Transfer subsidies that are not eliminated for the poor are given to employers of low wage labor, real estate developers, and landlords
- Repressive crime bill increases the number of federal crimes and flooded prisons
- Upheld sentencing disparities between crack and powder cocaine
- No push for labor law reform
- Privatization of student loan program (Sallie Mae)
- Privatization of federal meat inspection program as a favor to Tyson of Clinton’s state of Arkansas.
- Privatized much of military support services
- No less inclined toward military intervention than Reagan or Bush before him were.
- Repeal of Glass-Steagle Act of 1933. Removes firewall between investment and commercial banking.
Adolph Reed, Review of Russell Jacoby, Democracy, in The Nation (2014)